Wednesday, July 22, 2020

PLOG 62: Lego Ninjago Arcade Pods Review

My PLOG continues during this time of pandemic and protests...

I'm a little late to the party, but the Lego Ninjago Arcade Pods (Set Numbers: 71714, 71715, and 71716) are really interesting. They are also HUGE compared to the Lego minifig, but that's ok; I still think they could be used in a modular arcade build or something and it make sense. One of my cats is guest-starring in this review because he likes to be in the middle of things.



As you can see here on the backs of the boxes, not only does each set come with 2 minifigs for the same character, but they also come with some unique items and a bunch of copies of the same weapons.



I think it's hilarious that we go from guitar to dynamite to a baseball bat. These guys seem to have very different personalities. I'm going to start wit Jay, the blue ninja. He's the one with the guitar.




Each of the sets has a "Digi" version and an "Avatar" version of the Ninjago character. After giving Jay a chance to rock out, I opened up the box for Kai - the red ninja. I was saddened to see the twisted, wonky sticker sheet fall out when I opened the box. It's so sad to me that The Lego Group still does this with the packaging sometimes. They know how to secure sticker sheets and they do it in the really expensive sets.


I realized, while following the instructions, that it was going to be pretty much the exact same build for all 3 arcade pods; they were just swapping out the colors. I'm fine with that. I like consistency. Below you will see I gave Kai the little glowing daggers to hold because I didn't want him holding an open flame and some dynamite. The arcade pods are nice for storing those extra pieces though.


Up next was superstar Lloyd with the gold mohawk and baseball bat. What a punk! Thankfully, his sticker sheet was just fine.


The 3 ninjas look good together. I mostly wanted the sets for the arcade pods (to go into a modular build) and the hair pieces. Lloyd had an extra face mask so I gave it to Kai. They can use good practices during the pandemic. The extra 3 ninja minifigs create a great 3D screen appearance for the arcade pods.


Strangely, each set came with a row of extra stickers at the bottom of the sticker sheet. I don't know what to do with them. I suppose they could help decorate my MOC modular arcade that I want to build.


My overall thoughts?

THE GOOD:
*Each pack has 2 minifigs.
*Each pod has plenty of storage space.
*The stickers really bring the sets to life.
*The hair pieces and items are great.

THE BAD
*The arcade pods are really too big for minifig scale.
*There was no indication of what to do with the extra stickers.
*I wish the weapons were a solid color instead of the weird glow color.
*I wish Jay's guitar had some printed details on it.

I highly recommend these sets. They are fun and colorful.

That's it for today. Be safe out there (and I'll be safe at home)!

No comments:

Post a Comment