Tuesday, July 14, 2020

PLOG 54: Lego Speed Champions 2020 Part 1

My PLOG continues during this time of pandemic and protest...

I kept the news on today in the background. It's mostly the same BS. While watching the news (and movies) during the day, I allowed myself to relax and build the Lego sets I've had sitting around - including some of the 2020 Lego Speed Champions cars!

Screenshots from Bricklink.com

I want to talk about the Lego theme of Speed Champions. The Lego Group came out with this series back in 2015 and the cars looked cute. I even bought the blue and white Mustang in 2016 and the orange McLaren in 2017.



For years now, really ever since I was a kid playing with Lego, I have complained that too many Lego cars are just 4 to 6 studs wide. I want 7 to 8 stud width for the vehicles. To me, that measurement feels more inline with minifigure scale and allows for 2 people to sit side by side (which is more realistic and how cars really work). Obviously, I'm not the only one who has complained about this issue. 


Finally, Lego listened and released the 2020 Speed Champions line as 8-stud wide cars able to seat 2 minifigures side by side! Unfortunately, it's also the smallest release for this series, with just 5 sets (3 sets with 1 car and 2 sets with 2 cars each). Back in April, I went to Lego.com and snatched these up in a ship to home order (since we were under lockdown and I heard a lot of Lego sets were running out and going on backorder); I later put in a June order in which I got the free Hot Rod set (along with some Mandalorians and the Monster Burger truck).

Today, I got to building. I started with the Mandalorians and the free Hot Rod (none of which are actually part of the Speed Champions theme).





After playing with those sets for a bit, I had the Mandalorians leave so I could focus on the actual Speed Champions series for 2020. Why have these been sitting here for a couple of months? Well, I've been dreading putting on the stickers. I actually did a pretty good job with them though...









I was able to get all 3 of the solo car sets finished. I'm really happy with these sets. They are perfect for display or play. My only concern was that the red Ferrari's top could only close down all the way with the helmet on, not with the hair piece. Other than that, I think they are great. I rate them 5 out of 5 Mandalorians. LOL.


Today was relaxing. Tomorrow, I plan to put together the 2 sets with 2 cars each and then, hopefully, also put together the Monster Burger truck (since they will need a food truck when they all get together to show off their cars in a park or parking lot).

Have fun out there; I'm having fun at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment