Wednesday, July 15, 2020

PLOG 55: Lego Speed Champions 2020 Part 2


My PLOG continues during this time of pandemic and protests...

I managed to mostly avoid the news today by focusing on putting together some more Lego sets. See my post yesterday for the first few sets of the Lego Speed Champions 2020 series. Today I put together the rest of them, the larger 2 sets that each came with 2 cars.

Despite the large amount of stickers, I really enjoyed putting together these cars. I think I'm building up my sticker-putting-on XP and and really improving at it. Here we go...




For a while, I was temporarily delayed by cat. I had 3 of the 4 cars put together. It was a good chance to get something to eat and take a breather, but I was soon back in the action putting together that 4th car for today.



After finishing these 4 Speed Champions cars, I let myself play around with the Creator 3-in-1 Series Burger Monster Truck set.








What a fun day! In the background, I wasn't completely able to ignore the news. I'm still very frustrated, angry, sad, etc. when it comes to how things are being handled in the world. I guess I just have to keep distracting myself from it.


So what are my thoughts overall on the Lego Speed Champions 2020 series? I still give it 5 out of 5 stars. I greatly appreciate the change to 8 stud wide cars that can seat 2 people (for most of them). I actually didn't end up minding the stickers as much as I thought that I would.

THE GOOD: 
*The cars are beautiful. 
*The minifigures have unique printed torsos with branding for their cars.
*The more you put on stickers, the better you get at it.
*The techniques in the builds are inspiring for MOCs; I saw lots of creative placement and SNOT-activity going on.
*The stoplights in the sets with 2 cars have neat releases/movements for starting a car race.

THE BAD:
*Lego is using yellow skin instead of realistic skin tones.
*There are no unique/new hair style-color combinations.
*So many stickers!
*While seated in the cars, some of the minifigures can't wear their hair and fit in the seat with the top on properly; they have to use the helmet instead.
*The black wrench provided in each set isn't silver (sorry, the free Hot Rod set made me realize this).
*I've heard some commentary online about not all of the cars being accurate (but it doesn't really bother me).

I believe the good completely outweighs the bad. If you enjoy Lego and cars, I highly recommend these sets; get them before they sell out; some are already on backorder because Lego is so popular right now (with so many people self-quarantining at home).

That's it for today. Be safe out there and I'll be safe at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment