Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Logs 422-430: Dungeons & Bricks!

Logs 422-430: Dungeons & Bricks!
When AJ moved back to the area I saw an opportunity to run a short "holiday" campaign during the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. With me as DM we got AJ, NH, LJ, and MW together as players. MW created a Doctor Who-esque wizard called "The Wizard" who had an artifact that was like the TARDIS, but it was a fat tree (with a door on it) that was "bigger on the inside than the outside" and teleported around so it would blend in easily with most environments. AJ played a wandering cleric of Olidammara (revelry, trickery, travel). NH and LJ played a rogue and fighter.


MW had been playing Pathfinder with people and suggested we use miniatures so I said, "Why not Lego?" I had a huge Lego collection, even back then. I figured out that each Lego stud could represent 1.25 feet and thus a 4x4 plate would be perfect for representing a 5'x5' D&D combat square (traditionally a 1" square on a battle map). Back then I didn't own D&D minis or a battle map.


For the first adventure, I started them off with the first "Naked Challenge" that I ever DM'd by having them all taken prisoner inside of a cave to be sacrificed by the animal cults; that was my way of turning the group into a cohesive team and giving them the common enemy of the cults.

After that, I used T1-4 The Village of Hommlet, The Moathouse, The Village of Nulb, and The Temple of Elemental Evil and modified the adventure to be about animal cults instead of elemental cults. The NPCs included "Croco-Jer" Jerrol, Lord Wemicslayer, Lady Planter (a wemic druid), Bunny the Pirate Captain, and many others.

For the finale, since the campaign wasn't really over, I set it up so the characters were duped by the god of trickery (who pretended to be Pelor the sun god) but they ended up with a Deck of Many Things. I let them draw from the deck to see what they would get (if they wanted to). And that provided at least some sense of closure after they had saved people from the pirates and ran the animal cults out of the villages.

No comments:

Post a Comment