Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Logs 301-315: Misc Sci-Fi Games

BattleTech
I only played two sessions of BattleTech, but I enjoyed the game. The combat involved a bit of a learning curve, but I remember using dry erase markers to keep track of the damage done to the mechs during combat, as per the picture below:


My funny story from BattleTech involved getting ready to play the game. One of the reasons I stopped playing was because of the expense of buying and putting together the mech models used as miniatures for combat on the hex grid (which I wanted nothing to do with, as I had other priorities for the little bit of money I had as a teenager). But one of my friends had a friend who had a brother who owned a bunch of BattleTech minis. My friend said he had talked to them and we could borrow their minis from their apt, but we had to go in through the patio sliding glass door and get them while they were gone at work. I was the one sent in to get the minis; mind you, I didn't even know these people and had never been in their apartment, but I hopped the fence and went in the back door as I was told to do.

Once I got inside, there was an angry dog growling at me. My buddy was yelling for me to get to the front door and unlock it so he could come in and join me (because he wasn't going to hop the fence) while I stared down the dog. Eventually, I just sat down and let the dog come up and befriend me. But I was terrified and lucked out that the guard dog ended up liking me instead of trying to kill me.

Star Wars
I probably played about 8 sessions of Star Wars (the old d6 version of the game). I ran a short campaign with a spy droid that betrayed the group of players. I also played in a game ran by my buddy MW, in which I played the "strange" jawa who wanted to leave his people and live a better life. My jawa's name was Hoot Pak and he dreamed of being a rock star. His first album was simply titled Hoot Pak, but his second one was 2Pak. My same friend who sent me into the apt with the angry dog played a privateer pilot who grew paranoid of my jawa and locked up poor Hoot Pak in a storage closet for most of an RPG session. I also remember our storyteller allowing people to bribe him with food in exchange for Force points. Those were (mostly) fun times.

Alternity
The same company that produced D&D came out with a sci-fi game called Alternity. I think we played 5 sessions or so of Alternity, but we preferred Heroes Unlimited and D&D so we never really stuck with the system. I remember playing a pilot and our ship getting boarded by space pirates. The combat was fun, but someone in our group was playing a hacker character and I remember that type of conflict being resolved differently and feeling somewhat out of place for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment