Monday, December 5, 2016

N6: Giant of Worlds End by Lin Carter

Book Review!

N6: Giant of Worlds End by Lin Carter
The legendary writer and editor Lin Carter appeared on Gary Gygax’s “Appendix N” with a specific mentioning of the “World’s End series.” For today, I present a review of the 141-page novel Giant of World’s End.


The Good
*While many of the classic fantasy stories start out with a slow pace, this book captured by attention from the first page.
*The chapters always ended with some type of cliffhanger or suspension-creator.
*The wizard Zelobion uses a mix of magic and science since this story included a dying world aspect.
*The inclusion of words like “borogoves” added some extra wow factor.

The Bad
*I easily predicted the “twist” at the end, but I only include that here because I feel bad if I leave this section blank.

D&D Connections & Inspirations
*The main characters consist of a giant fighter and a half-nixie/human wizard.
*The description of the giant Ganelon emphasized his strength and constitution.
*The story felt like a D&D campaign with two players on a world exploration journey, who eventually add a third player to the team.

Overall
This book captivated me when I read through it. I give the work a 9/10 rating and highly recommend the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment