Sunday, December 18, 2016

N17: Dwellers in the Mirage by A. Merritt

Book Review!


N17: Dwellers in the Mirage by A. Merritt
In “Appendix N” Gary Gygax recommended A. Merritt’s novel Dwellers in the Mirage. About a year and a half ago I realized I still needed to read this book and I found myself really disappointed for several reasons. The cover looks amazing, but only represents one scene in the book. Many people consider this book a great classic fantasy story, but I disagree with them.




The Good
*The story included a Cthulhu-esque connection, but took a long time to get to the good part.


The Bad
*The narration includes many confusing moments.
*I disliked the protagonist Leif and the situations he found himself in.
*I felt the Dwayanu connection took away from Leif’s agency.


D&D Connections & Inspirations
*A kraken-like monster makes an appearance.


Overall
For my tastes, I give the work a 2/10 rating and really only recommend looking at the book to examine its historical importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment