Sunday, December 4, 2016

N4:“Armageddon” by Frederic Brown

Story Review!

N4:“Armageddon” by Frederic Brown
In “Appendix N” from the AD&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, Gary Gygax recommended Frederic Brown’s work. I own a large hardbound book called From the Ashes: The Complete Short SF of Frederic Brown and decided to review my favorite Brown short story “Armageddon.” Even at only four pages, this 1941 story really packs a punch.


The Good
*I love irony and paradox, especially when delivered as surprises.
*The childlike wonder and mischievousness came across really well.
*The short flashback/explanation from the father at the end worked perfectly. Flashbacks often annoy me, but this one comes across and short and sweet.

The Bad
*I felt slightly confused in the middle of the story, but not for long.

D&D Connections & Inspirations
*SPOILERS: The story involved summoning a fiend.
*SPOILERS: Holy water was used to stop the fiend.

Overall
This story truly delivers and gave me a delightful feeling with the narrative twists and turns. Thus I give Brown’s story a 9/10 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment