Thursday, December 22, 2016

N20B: Conan the Mercenary by Andrew J. Offutt

Book Review!


N20B: Conan the Mercenary by Andrew J. Offutt
I decided to go ahead and include the sequel to yesterday’s book by Andrew J. Offutt, even though Conan the Mercenary ended up published in 1980, clearly before Gary Gygax penned “Appendix N” of the AD&D Dungeon Master’s Guide. My paperback copy of this book included 185 pages of exciting mercenary action (and drawings). [This review looks almost identical to yesterday’s entry.]




The Good
*I always enjoy a good Conan adventure story.
*Good character development.


The Bad
*While a fun read, this book fails to achieve the status of “high literature.”


D&D Connections & Inspirations
*They actually made some Conan D&D modules for adventuring and I enjoyed that they stood out as a low-magic setting, making the powers of fighters and rogues more prominent.


Overall
For my tastes, I give the work a 6/10 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment