Wednesday, December 28, 2016

N25: “Redemption Cairn” by Stanley Weinbaum

Short Story Review!


N25: “Redemption Cairn” by Stanley Weinbaum
Gary Gygax sometimes worked in mysterious ways. For “Appendix N” to the AD&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, he sometimes recommended specific books for authors and sometimes just gave names. For Stanley Weinbaum, Gygax just gave a name and thus I found myself clueless as to which of his works to read. I randomly picked a 31-page short story from my The Best of Stanley G. Weinbaum paperback book - “Redemption Cairn.”




The Good
*Interesting science-fiction with a failed pilot who needs to go back and prove himself.
*Riveting reading with realistic dialogue.


The Bad
*Events happen very quickly.
*Weinbaum gives some foreshadowing a little too obviously.


D&D Connections & Inspirations
*I feel like Weinbaum must have some work out there that really inspired Gygax, but the story I picked came across as pure science-fiction without any fantasy or D&D related material.


Overall
For my tastes, I give the short story a 5/10 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment