Wednesday, December 21, 2016

N20: Conan and the Sorcerer by Andrew J. Offutt

Book Review!


N20: Conan and the Sorcerer by Andrew J. Offutt
In “Appendix N” Gary Gygax a mysterious reference to Andrew J. Offutt as an editor to a collection of stories. When I looked into that series, I realized Offutt not only edited the series together, but also completed a Conan story from notes after the death of Robert E. Howard. Thus, I decided for this author to review his continued work on the Conan series with the novel Conan and the Sorcerer - the lead book in a Conan trilogy. My paperback copy of this book included 186 pages of exciting “barbarian” action (and drawings).




The Good
*I always enjoy a good Conan adventure story.
*Good character development.


The Bad
*While a fun read, this book fails to achieve the status of “high literature.”


D&D Connections & Inspirations
*With fighters, rogues, and sorcerers this story’s elements easily create a low-magic D&D setting.


Overall
For my tastes, I give the work a 7/10 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment