Monday, February 11, 2019

AL PC: Thokson

Season 7 Play: Attained Level 8 (Moon Druid)

I love playing “Legacy Characters” (the offspring of previous characters). Maybe I put extra effort into roleplaying their personality because I played one of their parents or maybe I just like the emotional connection continuing from generation to generation; I’m not sure what it is, but I know it’s fun to do. A while back, in the FOE campaign, I played the half-orc druid Thok. Since I figured I might never get the chance to play his son Thokson in another home campaign, I went ahead and made Thokson for AL – also as a moon druid.

Backstory
Thokson is the son of Thok. His father was a famous orc-blooded adventurer, who fell in love with the elf barmaid Sareal. Thokson never knew his father because Thok died fighting drow invaders. Sareal took Thokson to live with some elves who had a connection to the Feywild. Thokson grew up with a false, romanticized version of his father's culture. His mother taught him that orcs deeply believed in honor and nature. From that, Thokson sought out the elf master druids to teach him. When he found out the truth - that many orcs of the Forgotten Realms were actually murderous savages - it deeply wounded his psyche and caused him to turn to a life of crime. After a successful tenure as a smuggler Thokson returned home, where his mother reminded him that his father was a hero to the people. Thokson decided to reform his ways and he joined the Emerald Enclave.


Heroforge Miniature Design
I actually bought the level 1 Thokson miniature and had it mailed to me.

Adventures
DDEX1-4 Dues for the Dead
This is one of my favorite modules to play in. It’s brutal, especially if the group is bad a resource management. Luckily, at low level, the moon druid has an advantage with those two wildshapes. When not in wildshape, I had Thokson dual-wielding scimitars – not because it was effective, but because it was fun. Luckily zombies are really easy to hit.

DDAL06-01 A Thousand Tiny Deaths
Looking back, this was one of my least favorite sessions to be in. There were seven of us and the DM was letting people talk over each other – which is one of my big pet peeves. When it’s my turn on initiative, I expect the other players to stop talking and let me do my thing. It didn’t help that there were kobold traps everywhere and the characters couldn’t come up with a cohesive plan. We ended up splitting in different directions, but meeting back up later in the caves. I should have had a better attitude about it, but once I was in my large bear form and most of the others decided to sneak through a small-size tunnel, I wasn’t having any of it. Luckily, we survived and moved on.

DDEX2-8 Foulness Beneath Mulmaster
I was in a much better, more relaxed mood for this adventure. After the last one, I just decided to try to be chill when there are seven players in a module written for just four or five. I decided to have Thokson do lots of roleplaying, hanging with the ranged attackers and talking about his ex-girlfriend and that sort of thing. It made it more fun and allowed me to save resources for later in the adventure, though one of the other players was like, “Why don’t you get out up front and fight with those other guys?” Thokson complied, but this let me establish his personality more. From this point on, he would stay in normal form until he was freaked out and then transform into an animal form. After all, as a druid he has plenty of spell options.

DDEX3-9 The Waydown
The beginning of this adventure was weird and one of the player characters was insulting another player character, but once we got past that it was more fun. This was the adventure with the giant octopus battle, thus giving Thokson an awesome new druid wildshape option. I was so excited about that, that I don’t really remember much else from the end of the module.

DDEX3-7 Herald of the Moon
Giant octopus shenanigans were had! While it moves very slowly, its grappling abilities are amazing. This adventure allowed some danger from being up high in trees and being afraid of falling down, but other than that it was pretty easy.

CCC-BMG-10 HILL1-1 Arrival
I think this was the adventure that ended with the crazy hag coven battle. It’s funny, but looking back I remember more of the players joking around and having fun than I do the events of the module. Haha. But that’s ok because I think a good time was had by all.

CCC-ODFC-0202 Palace of the Efreeti
This module was really Thokson’s moment to shine. For several sessions I had him telling stories about his ex-girlfriend and how he was lonely and wanting to meet someone again. And – BAM – there was a beautiful princess in the adventure. There were plots, subplots, NPCs spying and betraying – but all Thokson cared about was trying to romance the princess. Luckily the entire party got into it and was helping Thokson with his own personal quest during the adventure. In the end, he impressed her and she agreed to take some downtime with him after the adventure. That downtime led to the “Legacy Character” concept being able to continue, with another generation on the way...

DDEP07-01 Peril at the Port & DDEP07-02 Drums of the Dead
I love the “Epics” that AL puts together. In some ways, it’s the best part of AL and I understand why some people pretty much just play AL so they will have cool characters to play at large convention events with the epics. I had previously played these adventures as Ro, but it was fun to do them again with Thokson and a different group of players.

No comments:

Post a Comment