Sunday, March 19, 2017

Module Review: Legacy of the Crystal Shard

Fantasy Friday
For my fantasy review for this week I decided to complete another module review.


Legacy of the Crystal Shard
This module remains one of my favorites. Just like the "Murder in Baldur's Gate" module, this module set came with a removable outer cover, 2 booklets (Adventure Book and Campaign Guide), and a really nice DM screen customized for the adventure. It was also released as a part of the Forgotten Realms Sundering series (during the D&D Next playtest time period). Thus the back of the packaging pointed out it included material for playing this module with 3E, 4E, or D&D Next rules:


The included DM screen was really nice and included useful randomizer charts on the inside, such as this one:

Someone clever at Wizards of the Coast was thinking about replayability and made the module include an option for the DM to randomly determine 1 of 3 possible main villains to focus on as the "big bad" (that way players who knew about the adventure or had played it before wouldn't know which character was their main nemesis each time it was played); having said that though, I have to admit that most gaming groups are not going to play a module multiple times.

When I ran the adventure my players really became invested in the NPCs and we had a great time with the adventure. The module included more encounters than I felt it needed, but my players didn't seem to mind that.

Overall I give the module a rating of 8 out of 10 and I wish Wizards of the Coast would release more material similar to this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment