Monday, March 27, 2017

Module Review: Cloud Giant's Bargain

Module Review: Cloud Giant's Bargain
Following up my review for Storm King's Thunder, I decided I should also post my review for the connected module Cloud Giant's Bargain.


Our D&D group used this as a "side adventure" for one of the player characters who missed a weekly sessioin, allowing other people to play temporary characters assisting him in his task. For that purpose, the module worked really well. Specifically, our main PC involved had accepted the quest from Storm Giant's Thunder to avenge the death of the son of Blogothkus; thus I modified the module to put his target on the cloud castle in the module. The module would also work well as a part of the Storm King's Thunder storyline or as an independent quest.

As usual, I question the level suggesions when the book says it's for a group of characters of level 5-7:


I suggest a group of level 7-10 because the enemies are deadly and a fumble could mean falling to their death from the cloud castle. I was amused that the premise involved Acquisitions, Inc. since the modules written by the guys from that group did not mention Acquisitions, Inc. (and instead transplanted the adventures as being a part of the Zhentarim, etc.):


Ultimately, the Acquisitions, Inc. inclusion made sense because this module was given out "for free" to people who attended a special event involving the group's public play being shown in theatres; it's now available from some of those attendees as a used item on Ebay, etc. for about $5-$10. I bought it for $7 off of an Ebay seller and was happy with my purchase.

The players and I had a lot of fun running the session based off the module. We played for about 5 hours and finished the quest (in the sense of the character either dying or escaping with the info they needed), though there was technically more for them to have explored if they had wanted to.

Overall, I give the module a 6 out of 10. It was fun, but the maps were a little confusing and I think, instead of only offering this product to a select few, Wizards of the Coast should have made it available to the entire public. I also think it could have just been a part of Storm King's Thunder. It technically moves characters away from the main SKT plot because it mentions several more cloud castles like this one, poised to attack major cities. That could cause DMs quite a headache if the players decided to go after those (with no prepared maps, etc. for them).

No comments:

Post a Comment