Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Appendix N

Blog Introduction
For this blog I plan to share my thoughts about RPG-related materials. I want to start by reviewing stories in the fantasy genre and providing RPG reflections from years of playing D&D and other RPG games. I hope my words provide support, inspiration, and further discussion for my fellow RPG and fantasy enthusiasts.

Over the years I found myself fortunate to end up with plenty of time for socializing, gaming, and reading. My choice of profession as a teacher provides me with lots of vacation time and free weekends perfect for lengthy role-playing, planning, and writing opportunities. I started gaming during my childhood, picked the hobby back up during high school, continued during my college years, took a few years off as a “young professional” when I started my teaching career, and eventually made time to return to my favorite hobby.

Appendix N
As a kid I remember reading lots of science fiction stories and superhero comic books, but not much fantasy. I eventually discovered of a list of books recommended by Gary Gygax.


The 1979 AD&D Dungeon Master’s Guide included “Appendix N” with a list of authors that inspired the creators of Dungeons & Dragons. Gygax recommended 28 writers; in alphabetical order, the list included:
N1: Poul Anderson
N2: John Bellairs
N3: Leigh Brackett
N4: Frederic Brown
N5: Edgar Rice Burroughs
N6: Lin Carter
N7-8: L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt
N9: August Derleth
N10: Lord Dunsany
N11: P. J. Farmer
N12: Gardner Fox
N13: Robert E. Howard
N14: Sterling Lanier
N15: Fritz Leiber
N16: H. P. Lovecraft
N17: A. Merritt
N18: Michael Moorcock
N19: Andre Norton
N20: Andrew J. Offutt
N21: Fred Saberhagen
N22: Margaret St. Clair
N23: J. R. R. Tolkien
N24: Jack Vance
N25: Stanley Weinbaum
N26: Manley Wade Wellman
N27: Jack Williamson
N28: Roger Zelazny

A digital copy of the list exists on the internet: (http://www.digital-eel.com/blog/ADnD_reading_list.htm). Over time I managed to read all the authors on the list. I plan to include a series of reviews and label them “N#: Author’s Name” to share my thoughts. Someone wanting to gain a better understanding of not only the origins of the D&D multiverse, but also fantasy literature in general, could benefit from the reading list.

If too busy to experience the entire list, someone could prioritize the entries thanks to a quote from the bottom of the appendix listing; Gygax stated, “The most immediate influences upon AD&D were probably de Camp & Pratt, R. E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H. P. Lovecraft, and A. Merritt; but all of the above authors, as well as many not listed, certainly helped to shape the form of the game.” That potentially bumps N7-8, N13, N15, N24, N16, and N17 to the front of the list.

1 comment:

  1. I have new suggestion: for anyone who wants to go through the "Appendix N" challenge, after finishing the process I wished I had read through the works in order of their original publication date instead of alpha by last name of author because I feel that might convey even more info about the evolution of the fantasy genre and its influence.

    ReplyDelete